Tours of the Cotswolds
Throughout Gloucestershire and the Cotswolds, there are many villages and churches where the work of Arts & Crafts Movement designers can be seen.
There are also two suggested summer tours of the Cotswolds which you can download. Each tour starts in Cheltenham and can be completed easily in a day.
Summer Tour 1 (pdf 275kb)
Summer Tour 2 (pdf 315kb)
Church of All Saints by W R Lethaby, 1901-2
The Church of Edward the Confessor by A Randall Wells, 1903. The interior includes work by Ernest Gimson and Ernest Barnsley.
Gloucester Cathedral has stained glass by Christopher Whall. Also Arts & Crafts silver by Henry Wilson and monuments by Wilson and Eric Gill. Gloucester Folk Museum, Westgate Street has a collection of puppets by William Simmonds.
In 2008 the Gordon Russell Museum opened in the original Grade II listed workshop of Gordon Russell Ltd., celebrating the work of Gordon Russell and that of his Company over a period of sixty years in Broadway. Broadway Tower has a small display on William Morris.
Hart Silversmiths workshop and small showroom, the Silk Mill, Sheep Street. Court Barn Museum, housed in a converted barn in Church Street near St. James Church, opened in 2007, celebrating the skill and imagination of artists and designers, architects and craftspeople who have worked in Chipping Campden and the surrounding villages of the north Cotswolds.
Winchcombe Pottery, Greet, founded by Michael Cardew, now run by Ray and Mike Finch.
Boys School (1896) by Guy Dawber
Cheltenham Art Gallery & Museum holds the national collection for the British Arts & Crafts Movement, Clarence Street. Please note that Cheltenham Art Gallery & Museum is now closed for an exciting new development until 2013. All Saints Church, Pittville: stained glass by Edward Burne-Jones and Morris & Company.
Church of St John the Baptist: window in the south transept by Christopher Whall, 1907
The Gyde Almshouses, Gloucester Road (1913) by Sidney Barnsley. Painswick Institute, Bisley Street (1906) by William Curtis Green with lettering by Eric Gill. The Gloucestershire Guild of Craftsmen has a permanent base in the Institute.
All Saints Church designed by G F Bodley in 1861. William Morris`s firm, Morris, Marshall, Faulkner & Company, designed and produced the stained glass. It was the firm`s first major commission for stained glass. The overall scheme was designed by Morris and Philip Webb with Rossetti, Madox Brown and Burne-Jones contributing individual designs.
School of Science and Art, Lansdown (1890-99) by J P Seddon and W H C Fisher. Nearby the village of Minchinhampton has a Memorial Cross (1919) by Sidney Barnsley and many houses by Ernest Barnsley, Sidney Barnsley and Thomas Falconer.
Christchurch, Cirencester Road. The interior of this church includes work by Peter Waals, Norman Jewson, William Simmonds and Edward Payne.
Village Hall by Ernest Barnsley 1913, other architectural work by Gimson and the Barnsleys. Gimson, Ernest and Sidney Barnsley, and Emery Walker are buried in the churchyard.
Bowley Almshouses, Watermoor Road (1927) and Barton Lane Almshouses (1929) by Norman Jewson
Owlpen Manor restored by Norman Jewson in 1925. The house contains Arts & Crafts furnishing and plasterwork and is open during the summer months. The manor house will be closed in 2011 for conservation and repair works.
Rodmarton Manor by Ernest Barnsley 1909-26. Large Arts & Crafts house and garden with locally-made furniture and furnishings. Open to the public regularly during the summer months, group visits by prior written arrangement.
Church of St Lawrence: communion rails by Norman Jewson.
Kelmscott Manor, William Morris`s home in the Cotswolds from 1871. Morris is buried in the churchyard. The village hall was designed by Ernest Gimson, Gimson and Philip Webb built cottages in the village.